7.23.2013

cucumber salad with lemon verbena & mint




I stopped by the farm stand and picked up some baby cucumbers over the weekend. It has been so hot, I really can't even turn the oven on in my kitchen. On a steamy day the last thing I want to do is cook. I've been looking for cold salad /meal ideas I can make with out too much effort. With some inspiration plucked from my garden I added a twist to my great grandmothers cucumber salad recipe. It is amazingly refreshing!






Ingredients


  1. Cucumber, one large (or two small)
  2. 3/4 cup white distilled vinegar
  3. 1/2 cup white refined sugar
  4. 1 or two leaves of fresh lemon verbena
  5. 1 or two leaves of fresh mint
  6. approximately 1 tablespoon of fresh dill.
  7. A pinch of By The Sea Salt
  8. 1/2 of a small white onion.
  9. 1/2 cup water

Here's how you do it:

Cut cucumbers into thin slices. Cut onion into small slices and seperate. Set aside.  Mix vinegar and sugar. Toss together the cucumbers and onion in a large bowl. Combine the vinegar, water and sugar in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, and pour over the cucumber and onions. Stir in dill, cover, & other herbs and refrigerate until cold. This can also be eaten at room temperature, but be sure to allow the cucumbers to marinate for at least 1 hour. Serve chilled, garnish with mint leafs. Tip; It gets better the longer it sits.

No comments:

Post a Comment