9.12.2012

the golden hour....









In photography, the golden hour (sometimes known as magic hour) is the first and last hour of sunlight during the day, when a specific photographic effect is achieved due to the quality of the light. The light is defused and warm, when the sun is near the horizon.  In my case, it serves a duel meaning....my two golden retrievers, Bode (the whiter one who is still a pup) and Ruby, my heart, who is ten now. I  think about light a lot. September light is especially warm, and golden, lending itself to a romantic and nostalgic feel. 


When you plan your outdoor wedding, or outdoor family shoot, think about the light. What time of year are you getting married? What time of day?--If photography and natural lighting is important to you, you may want to keep this in mind. I have many clients who will be drawn to a photograph they see in my portfolio, from a  summer wedding-- (and they are getting married in October). I try to explain that it had a lot to do with the light at that moment. While you can always manipulate a image, you can't replicate natural light exactly (or a time of year). Fall is slightly nostalgic for the changing leaves, and orange/yellow hues that the sun is filtered through. So keep this in mind if there is a certain kind of photography that you are drawn to: look closely--is it warm and filtered? Or is it saturated with color and bright? Is it on the beach...or in a meadow? Water plays a part in the light too! And of course, there is always cloud coverage vs. bright blue skies. And on occasion (I know,know you don't want rain on your wedding day), grey skies and rain- So many variations of light! What is your favorite? Forgive my rant, I don't usually write so much, but if it can be helpful to you when thinking about your photography wants, I hope this helped.
xo-Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment