8.19.2012

the easiest salsa ever



I have a load of heirloom tomatoes, so trying to come up with different ways to use them up,  has become a bit of a game. The simplest and best recipe (to me) is homemade salsa. Not many utensils  or ingredients needed, and I can whip it up instantly, and bottle it as a hostess gift.

The sweet taste of the Sungold is great mixed with some basic red plum, the riper, the better.


Ingredients One large tomato (or a cup of cherry size) Half a large onion 1/2 cup cilantro (or to taste) I love cilantro + add a lot!  1 tablespoon (approximately) Tabasco 

Chop up tomatoes, cilantro, and onion and mash in large bowl till the consistency is what you like. Add a dash of Tabasco to taste. You can use a blender or food processor, but it really isn't needed, especially if you use ripe tomatoes. As I have mentioned in other posts, I am not a big measurer--I am somewhat haphazard, so all of this is sort of intuitive to me because I have made it so many times. It's one of those recipes that you can not screw up!

If you bottle it, as I did, it can only sit in the fridge for a few days, before it starts to go bad. I didn't have any ribbon so I used simple garden twine which I always have laying around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment